What is Allowable?
Still unsure about FERPA?
The following actions are Allowed under FERPA by faculty and staff:
- Releasing a student’s information to the student when his or her identity can be positively identified
- Remember, telephone and non-UGA email are not reliable methods to make positive identification. UGAMail is allowed.
- Posting grades to ELC
- Protecting or securing confidential information on computer screens or desks from unauthorized individuals
- Handing students graded work directly to each student in or out of class
- Making sure that grades are not visible when returning student work
- Providing student information to school officials with a legitimate educational need to know
- Paying attention to any confidential indicators, such as a FERPA restriction on class rolls
- Understanding that Directory Information can be shared with third parties without student consent if the student does not have a FERPA restriction
- See your class roll to learn who has this restriction and who does not.
- Shredding or destroying unneeded confidential documents (i.e. personal notes and emails about specific students)
The following actions are NOT Allowed under FERPA by faculty and staff:
- Sharing information about students with third parties, parents, or others unless the student is present and provides consent, or the student has voluntarily provided a written request specifying what information you may share (i.e. letters of recommendation)
- Sharing Directory Information without a written release from a student who has a FERPA restriction.
- Emailing students any confidential information, including grades, unless specifically requested through their UGAMail account.
- This information can only be released directly to the student in person, on ELC, or through UGAMail. Posting confidential information to other websites, email addresses, blogs, etc. is not allowed.
- Releasing a student’s class schedule
- If there is an emergency in which an individual needs to locate a student, refer them to Student Support Services (706-542-8220).
- Asking students in the class to hand back graded work to other students
- Leaving graded student work in a public area
- Sharing or discussing education records with your colleagues or co-workers unless a legitimate educational need exists
- Throwing away education records
If you are uncertain as to how to respond or act in a given situation pertaining to FERPA, refer your question to the Office of the Registrar at 706-542-6020. Remember, all UGA students are covered under FERPA regardless of their status (joint enrollment, non-degree, transient, etc.).